Mastering the Art of Self Storage: The Dos and Don'ts of Packing
January 22nd, 2024
Welcome to Square Space Storage, where we believe that a well-packed self storage unit is the key to a stress-free and organized life. Whether you're downsizing, moving, or just need some extra space, packing your belongings properly is crucial. In this guide, we'll walk you through the dos and don'ts of packing for self storage, ensuring your items remain in pristine condition and easily accessible when you need them.
- Use Quality Packing Materials: Invest in sturdy boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and other protective materials. Quality packing supplies provide an extra layer of protection for your belongings.
- Label Everything Clearly: Mark each box with its contents and destination room. This will save you time when you need to find specific items and help you prioritize unpacking.
- Create an Inventory: Keep a detailed inventory of the items you're storing. This will not only help you keep track of your belongings but also serve as a handy reference in case you need to make an insurance claim.
- Disassemble Furniture: When possible, disassemble furniture to save space and prevent damage during transportation and storage. Keep all hardware in labeled bags taped to the corresponding furniture piece.
- Use Furniture Covers: Protect your furniture from dust and scratches by covering it with specialized furniture covers or clean sheets. This is especially important for long-term storage.
- Pack Heavier Items at the Bottom: Place heavier items at the bottom of boxes to ensure stability. This prevents fragile items from getting crushed under the weight of heavier belongings.
- Fill Empty Spaces: Fill gaps in boxes with packing materials to prevent items from shifting during transit. This extra padding helps protect your belongings from potential damage.
- Overpack Boxes: Avoid overloading boxes, as this can lead to breakage and make them difficult to lift. Stick to weight limits and distribute items evenly.
- Use Newspaper for Wrapping: Newspaper ink can transfer onto your items. Opt for clean packing paper or bubble wrap to avoid any unwanted stains.
- Neglect Climate Considerations: If you're storing items sensitive to temperature changes, such as electronics or wooden furniture, consider climate-controlled storage to prevent damage from extreme conditions.
- Store Hazardous Materials: Prohibited items like flammable or hazardous materials should never be stored in a self storage unit. Be aware of the facility's guidelines to ensure safety.
- Forget to Lock Your Unit: Always secure your self storage unit with a quality lock. This adds an extra layer of protection for your belongings.
By following these dos and don'ts of packing for self storage, you'll set yourself up for success. At Square Space Storage, we're committed to providing you with the best storage experience possible. Happy packing!